Wednesday 2 October 2013

How it went this year...

This years trout fishing got off to a pretty good start in march when the season kicked off. Had some good success on pheasant tail nymphs and hairs ear nymphs. I caught most of the fish using the New Zealand method. There was some early season success as well with some small midge pattern dry flies that I tied up myself. 

 

The dry summer here in Ireland caused the rivers in my area to stay low for the whole summer more or less but it didn't seem to affect the fishing too badly and I had some of the best fishing on my local river for a few years. The average size of the fish was down in my opinion but the amount of smaller fish that were around is a good sign.

A nice sized early season brown trout from the River Dodder.
The late summer and autumn fishing was pretty good as well but I had limited chances due to work commitments but I did manage to get out a good few times for a couple of hours. Catching trout mostly to small sized midge and duster patterns but also some nice fish on the surface with skated sedge patterns.
Sea Trout from a mystery location!

Late autumn rise on the Dodder.

Last trout of the season on the Dodder.
Not a bad season all in all. I didn't manage to beat my personal best trout this year but maybe next season.


No comments:

Post a Comment